- July Featured Artist is Anita Freeman – reception is Fri July 7th 4-7 PM.
- SAA theme show Marshes, Dunes, & Tidepools is on display through the end of July- reception is Fri July 7th 4-7 PM.
- Stop by the gallery on Sat July 15th to buy baked goods (proceeds go to SAA’s local art scholarship fund) during Exeter’s American Independence Day Festival
- Call for art – 2017 theme show calendar is available; the August show is Explore Your Garden – drop off is Sat July 29th.
- The June/July SAA Newsletter is available
- SAA members exhibiting in the region:
- Doris Rice at the Blue Moon in Exeter NH June through Aug – reception Sun Jul 23rd 3-5 pm
- Gerry Bresnahan at Lane Memorial Library in Hampton NH during July – reception Tue Jul 18th 6:30-7:30 pm
- Laurie Levesque and Eunice Miller at Breaking New Grounds in Market Square Portsmouth NH through August
See our events calendar for more activities.
Anita Freeman is the Featured Artist at the SAA Gallery July 2017
Gull by Anita Freeman
Capturing the many moods of the sea has always been a focus of Anita Freeman’s art. A native New Yorker, she has spent her adult life in New England pursuing several careers now living in Durham with landscape designer Phillip Albright. In her oil paintings, she is drawn to the continuing variations of light temperature and movement of the ocean, at the same time striving to unify the images in approach, palette, and content. Her work tends to be bold with strong contrast and color filled. She looks to color to express form and emotional tone. Studies of movement are represented by subject matter weather conditions and brush strokes.
Summer Shore by Anita Freeman
She is particularly inspired by Winslow Homer’s treatment of the sea and rocks, John Singer Sargent’s landscape paintings and Edward Hopper’s color palette and approach. She admires each of these artists for their adventurous use of brilliant light to capture and illustrate the image, the day, and the mood. As they especially teach, “You must paint the day you are in”.
Rolling In by Anita Freeman
She is a member of North Shore Atelier studying with nationally recognized artist, Lully Schwartz.
Breaking Wave #102 by Anita Freeman
She has exhibited at Newburyport Art Association Regional Juried Shows, Lowell’s Boat Shop Museum, SeArts at Bass Rock Golf Club, Gloucester, Provident Savings Bank, St. John’s Episcopal Church in Beverly, Seacoast Artists Association in Exeter NH,. Exeter Arts Committee, Exeter City Offices, Centennial Gallery Peabody as these venues support her interest in maritime subjects and New England coastal themes. Her works are hung at Ross Furniture Company in Dover NH.